Friday, June 1, 2007

Chicken Fajitas- Indianish Style

I love fajitas. They're simple to make you just need meat, sweet peppers, onions, tortillas and voila fajitas right? Its so simple who needs a recipe, not me. Well, I've been trying to make the ultimate fajitas for years. It's become a matter of principle for me not to look for a recipe. My problem is the spices mixture. I keep trying to get the spices right and I keep getting the alchemy wrong. On the plus side I've created a few great variations while trying to recreate the original. Here's last nights failed attempt. It was great everyone liked them.

Fajitas- Indianish

1 tbs olive oil
1/2 lbs chicken breast, sliced in strips
1 bell pepper, green sliced in strips
1 bell pepper, red sliced in strips
1 med onion, sliced in strips
1 tbs cumin, ground
1/2 tbs turmeric
pepper to taste
4 whole wheat tortillas
sour cream to garnish
Chutney, tamarind to garnish

1. Heat oil in skillet. When oil is warmed add chicken and half of the cumin and turmeric. Cook chicken until done, remove from pan.
2. Add sliced vegetables and remaining cumin and turmeric to hot pan saute once the vegetables are browned add about 1/4 cup water and de-glaze pan allowing the vegetables to steam in the pan. Just before the pan goes dry remove vegetables and serve with chicken.
3. Serve on the whole wheat tortillas with a spoonful of sour cream and the chutney.
4. Enjoy.

Serves 4

While not traditional these "fajitas" are quick and delicious. The flavor comes from cooking the spices in the hot oil with the chicken.

No comments: