Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Diets dont work. But changes can.

I'm a diabetic. I was diagnosed four months after my wife had our son. I firmly believe that the reason I have this disease is because of my choices. At the time I was 340lbs and not getting any exercise. Breakfast meant stopping at McDonald's on the way to work. Well, I lost close to 100 lbs and continue to fight my weight and eating habits.

My success and failures are mine but here is how I lost the weight and I try to maintain. Portion Control. It's that easy just eat what the recommended portion for a meal is and eat the recommended daily amount. I lost weight and got my diabetes under control by using portion control. It takes time to figure out what a serving really is and then being satisfied with it but it can be done. Some of the stategies that helped me are: eat a portion and if I'm still hungry wait 15 minutes if I'm still hungry after waiting I'll eat half a portion and stop, trusting I've eaten enough. Drink water and tea (hot or iced) and remove soda completely. When ordering out move food around your plate. What I mean is figure our what your going to eat and seperate it from the heard so to speak. When done have the server bring a box for leftovers or ask them to remove the plate. I know it sounds like a waste but restaurants are about giving you value for your money not healthy choices. My belief is the value I'm buying is the experience and the service the food only a part the whole.

No comments: