Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ratatouille and tow trucks

I'm a Pixar junkie and with a three year old son you know I've seen Cars weekly since it came to dvd. I don't know about the next movie, Ratatouille, I'll let you know after I've seen it. But with all the hype and always in search of inspiration. I made the movie's namesake for dinner.

The problem I had in finding a recipe is that there are so many variations. I found six different recipes in six different cookbooks. Which recipe to use was settled for me when I went shopping and forgot my list. I decided to the recipe posted at
Cooking for Engineers because I remembered seeing it and I could get to the ingredient list from my blackberry while shopping. I strayed from the recipe but everyone really liked the results.

I adapted stole this recipe from Michael at Cooking for Engineers. Which is currently my favorite food related website. I increased the amount of eggplant, bell peppers, basil than he suggested and added a bay leaf. The end result is very good. I served the leftovers the next day over scrambled eggs as suggested.


Ratatouille

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes


6 garlic cloves
1 1/2 medium zucchini diced 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium onion diced 1/4 inch pieces
1 bell pepper,green diced 1/4 inch pieces
1 bell pepper,yellow diced 1/4 inch pieces
2 eggplant, diced 1/4 inch pieces
5 sprigs of Italian parsley, chopped
6 sprigs of basil, chopped (half for cooking and half for garnish)
1 bay leaf
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup stock, vegetable
1 1/2 Tbs. tomato paste
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan, to garnish

  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and saute until garlic smell intensifies.
  2. Add diced onions sweat until they become translucent.
  3. Add tomato paste and stir until onions are coated with the paste and continue cooking until the paste darkens and begins to stick to the pot.
  4. Add the vegetable stock and bay leaf to pan and deglaze the bottom of the pan allowing the broth to begin simmering.
  5. Add the eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers and a pinch of salt to the pot. Stir to combine thoroughly and cook for 10 to 12 minutes stirring frequently.
  6. Add diced tomatoes and combine until the tomatoes are brought up to temperature. Turn heat to low.
  7. Stir in parsley and half of the basil. Remove bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Serve in bowls garnished with basil and Parmesan.
  9. Enjoy.

No comments: